New Years always seems to see the start of health kicks and detoxes; juices and cleanses. But for once why not let’s throw that to the road side and celebrate the start of a New Year with cake! In the spirit of healthy eating let’s talk vegan muffins. For those of you who don’t know about vegan muffins, I’m pretty sure the dictionary’s definition is that you can eat four times as many as a normal muffin and they’re still darn good for you. For real. These muffins are full off health boosting ginger, metabolism kicking coffee, and omega packed rapeseed oil. What more do I need to say for you to want to make these light, delicate and insanely moreish muffins? So let’s carry on the year as we mean to begin, filled with cake!
These muffins are the simplest thing to make. No creaming butter and sugar. No slowly adding eggs and flour. Three simple steps and we are in vegan muffin heaven. To begin we chuck all our dry ingredients into the bowl and give it a good mix. Easy so far right?
Next wet meets dry and we have ourselves another stirring party. Then the magic happens – we add the vinegar and mix like crazy to help activate the baking soda till we get a bubbling, chocolate flecked batter. Bubbles…
Once we have our gorgeous batter is time to fill our muffin trays. Fill these baby’s up high even though they’ll rise a load in the oven. As we’re not topping with a frosting the bigger the better. Then it’s orange syrup time.
Drenched in orange syrup and topped with caramelised orange peel, we have gorgeous fluffy muffins that you would never believe were vegan. Don’t get me wrong I love my butter but these little joys might have just made me a convert.
Ingredients (makes 24 large muffins)
3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
2 cups golden caster sugar
2/3 cup dark chocolate powder, or other unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 2/3 cups cold fresh brewed coffee
1 cup rapeseed oil, or another form of vegetable oil if preferred
3 tablespoons orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
Orange sugar syrup
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup golden caster sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (190c). Line two muffin trays. Put on ‘Perdido’ by Duke Ellington, preferably.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add all of the wet ingredients, up unto the vinegar, and mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the vinegar and whisk together, the mixture will turn a slightly paler colour and once the baking soda and vinegar have reacted together fully, the colour will turn back to a chocolate dark brown.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin linings and bake for 15-20mins, checking after 15.
- Whilst the muffins cook, place all of the orange sugar syrup ingredients in a pan and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the muffins are cooked, bring them out of the oven and leave to cool for 5 mins. Gently poke holes in the top of the muffins while still warm and generously brush over the warm orange sugar syrup. I like to do 2-3 coats of the sugar syrup to ensure the orange syrup is fully soaked in.