Previously I talked a little bit about getting some balance in our lives. That balance took its form in chocolate salted caramel cheesecakes, where as this balance comes in the form of a bit more time (for me) and polenta (also for me!). It’s not always I have time to grab my camera and spend a few leisurely hours snapping photos and making food I love. But I do always try and make fresh food at home every week night – I blame my mama’s hatred of microwaves for my dislike of ready meals.
So here’s where Nutshell Bites comes in! These posts will be less talk, less pictures but food that’s just as delicious. Now let’s get breakfast started.
You can seen how few ingredients this breakfast polenta takes: quick cook polenta, coconut milk and some spices and seasonings.
Ingredients – serves one
75g quick cook polenta (1/2 cup)
125ml (1/2 cup) Coconut milk plus 190ml (3/4 cup) of water
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sugar or chosen sweetener to taste
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
To serve: toasted flaked almonds, creme fraiche, fresh fruit, warmed poached fruits
1. Put on your favorite radio station – mandatory breakfast listening.
2. Place the coconut milk, water and salt in a heavy based pan on a medium heat – whisk.
3. Whisk in the polenta, followed by the nutmeg, cinnamon and sweetener. I used about a half a tablespoon of vanilla sugar.
4. Continue to whisk the polenta till it thickens to a desired consistency. Using quick cook polenta this should only take about 5 mins.
5. To serve place into a bowl and top with flaked almonds, creme fraiche and fruit. I went with poached winter fruits.